Tuesday, June 29, 2010

2010 Road Nationals

In the last 48hours I raced 180km, then drove 13hours through the night to port moody.  Despite my best efforts I could not fall asleep all day.  Instead I resembled the waking dead, and I think I did some laundry.  Then I got a good night sleep.  Woke up stiff as a board and went to work, which effectively canceled my good night sleep.  Now it is two days since road Nationals and I think I will tell you all how it went.

This was my first time racing Road Nationals.  It was the longest, fastest and most aggressive race I have ever done.  As such I managed to make as many rookie mistakes as possible. 

Actions such as starting at the back, panicking when in poor position, racing too conservatively all contributed to wasted energy.  Which cam first the chicken or the egg.  Did I make these mistakes because I am a rookie, or am I a rookie because I made these mistakes.

Nevertheless. I raced and I finished.  After about 6 laps when I stopped stressing I felt that I belong.  What a race.  It was exciting and fast and aggressive.  I learned allot from this race, all of which I intend to retain and apply to future racing.

In the end I finished in the remnants of the main group.  I was the 19th placed Espoir (under 23).  A top twenty, even in the espoir category, is something that I am pleased with.  For my first year at nationals to place 9th in the Time Trial and 19th in the road race is an accomplishment that I can build on.

A note on team Saskatchewan.  All Saskatchewan entrants finished the Road Race, and one alumnus placed 5th.  I may be mistaken, but I was informed that this is a Saskatchewan Cycling first.  I would like to congratulate the Saskatchewan Cycling Association for continuing to develop excellent young talent.

I would also like to thank The Saskatchewan Cycling association for funding a provincial Team to race at Nationals.  Special Thanks to Denise Eberle for all her hard work and behind the scene dedication.  And Thanks to Brad Kerr, an amazing project manager and cycling mentor.


 Training shall be based solely on feel,
while racing shall be guided by sensations and instinct.



Cuylar Conly

No comments:

Post a Comment