Sunday, August 22, 2010

What better place than here, What better time than now.

Bike racing is an incredibly addictive drug.  There is highs, and lows, tolerance, dependence, and withdrawal.  I have been going through bike race withdrawal.  After watching the provincial road race championships I was joansing hard.  Having not pushed myself in the last month I was even twitching.  My bike is my drug.

I can't help but feel that I have been robbed of the last part of the cycling season.  It is amazing how several weeks of down time will motivate you to ride your bike really hard.   A sedentary life does not suit me well, pushing my limits is "normal".  What better way to expand the realm of sanity than the race of truth. 

With what is best described as determination, I signed up for the provincial 40km ITT championships.  In any Individual Time Trial one of the goals is to suffer your maximum and beyond.  I am pleased to say that, this at least was accomplished.  It is difficult to accept that you are not as fast as you were only one month ago, so you push yourself for that speed and you suffer.  Then you accomplish something that you are not supposed to, and that is good.  That is the drug.

For my labors I landed on the podium.  With the prize of a hard ride and the consolation of 3rd place.  I would like to take this time to congratulate Christian "Indurain" Jensen of (Bike Doctor Saskatoon).  Christian stomped his way to victory with the power and focus that comes only from prairie winds.  Rob Howse riding for Horizon 100 used his "old man, farmer powers" to complete the podium in 2nd place.

Today is the Saskatchewan provincial Criterium Championships.  Against my better judgment I will not be contesting this race.  This is a title that I would love to claim, but it will not be this year.  My shoulder will not be able to withstand the ferocity of this race.  So I will be on the sidelines once again. 


Training shall be based solely on feel,
while racing shall be guided by sensations and instinct.



Cuylar Conly

No comments:

Post a Comment