Sunday, October 3, 2010

A foot race YO

Yesterday I ran in a cross country race for the first time in 3 years the U of S Huskie Open .  Having not run in a race for so long I was eager, excited and nervous.  My race form was yet unknown to me, though I knew I would be no superman.  My strategy was to focus on myself, to stay in control off the start and then to try to wind things up in the last kms.  A sound tactic if I do say so myself.  To bad I could not pull it off.  

When the race started I was in control and found my rhythm.  I felt strong for 2 laps, then in the 3rd lap I was feeling "it" feeling maxed.  It was in this lap that I made extra effort to stay with a group of ten runners.  Unfortunately when we came to the hill I began to crumple.  The next two laps were damage control.  I fought to hold my pace and to finish the race.  I finished exhausted, I finished.  And I loved it.  You have to love that feeling of shattered self mastery.


I finished a distant 48th in 26,11.  Underwhelming no doubt.  But I intend to make improvements.  If nothing else I hear running keeps you thin.  The Huskie Mens team placed 3rd overall.  In the future I will be glad if I can contribute to team successes. 






My training for Cross country continues to be full on.  This will no doubt improve my running and keep a basic level of fitness.  Unfortunately this has led to a disgusting lack of cycling.  I have spent far too much time off the bike.  Somehow I need to find a way to continue to ride while re-learning how to run.  In all ways that I train my focus is to cycling.


 Training shall be based solely on feel,
while racing shall be guided by sensations and instinct.



Cuylar Conly

No comments:

Post a Comment