Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Home a Few Days Now

You think a cross country move would be a complicated and taxing endeavour, but it almost felt like flicking a switch.  I had almost no change in routine before the move.  I packed all my things in less than 3 days, totalling two duffle bags and a bike box that was over filled.  According to Google Maps, for a cost of $0 I could walk the ~2800km to Saskatoon in 24 days.  I elected to buy a plane ticket and was back in Saskatoon in little more than 4 hours.  Now how's that for perspective.

Since coming back to Saskatoon I have observed that the week preceding September 1st  has the highest turnover of 20 somethings of the entire year.  There is a simultaneous rush of students retuning to town and a mass exodus of those leaving for schooling elsewhere.  Thank goodness I am unemployed, so that I can attend all the homecomings and sendoffs three times a day.  I have some very good friends who I only get to see a couple times a year, and it feels good to just drop whatever I am doing and go catch up.

To facilitate my transition back to school I feel like I have become a professional pencil pusher.  There seems to be a whole lot of administrative papers involved in your final year of school.  And "they" said computers would be the death of paper.  At least this is conditioning me for the mental work that will come come this winter.  Sometimes I feel like my brain has become really lazy, nay I know it has.

On the sporting side of life.  I spent a couple days cobbling together a cyclocross bike.  Seems to be the only bike I have right now. (My Time Trial Bike is on it's way to Saskatoon, and is still for sale).  Even though I am riding on a cross bike I am not ready to hit the mud.  Right now I am running slick road tires and yesterday went for a great tour around the north end of Saskatoon.  I forgot how flat it is here,  I also forgot how windy it can get.  It's a completely different way of riding, even to the point of changing your equipment selection and altering your riding position.  Yesterday was my first "real" ride in some time, and it was great.  I think I will have another good ride today.  This is the "not training time" when you just go ride around until you think it's time to go home.


Training shall be based solely on feel,
while racing shall be guided by sensations and instinct.



Cuylar Conly 

No comments:

Post a Comment