Tuesday, February 16, 2010

planes trains and automobiles

I left Saskatoon on Sunday.  I am now in Richmond BC.  It was a unique journey, in which I changed modes of transit 3 times in about 12 hours.

I left Saskatoon on a plane with my family ( minus dad).  We flew from Saskatoon to Edmonton, where we had 20 minutes to get to a flight from Edmonton to Vancouver.  This leg of the journey totaled about 2 hours.  After landing we would have to split the family for the night.  The reason for the split is that we got plane tickets at an awesome price, but a day before our accommodation was available.  But, we had a plan.

We rented a van and drove an hour to port Moody.  For the next six months I will be living in port Moody with Scott and Sara Lalabert.  I unloaded all of my luggage including my bike, and undid a weeks worth of packing in about 20 minutes.  I didn't have too much time to get comfortable, as I would only be here one night.  My Uncle had room in west Vancouver for my parents plus Ana and Lukas.  Orrin and I would spend the night at Scott and Sara's.

The next few days will be spent at the Olympics with my family, we had arranged for a condo in Richmond.  Thus, Orrin and I woke up Monday morning, and with the help of Scott, figured out how to take the train from port Moody to Richmond.  I have to say it is pretty darn hard to get lost.  Although this leg of travel took us a full two hours.  Orrin and I met up with the rest of the family to check into our Condo, return the rental van, and be off to our first event.
  
The first event we saw was Woman's Hockey.   We watched an excellent match up between Sweden and Slovakia.  The first period was very competitive.  But in the end, despite the Goalie of Slovakia being an absolute hero, the Swedes overran Slovakia 6-2 with three goals in the third period.  Watching live makes it very easy to get wound up for these teams, the energy is just phenomenal.  On the agenda for the rest of the week is woman's 500m long track speed skating, figure skating men's short program, curling, men's hockey, and aerials ski jumping.
 
This guy was awesome, he started drinking beer out of his hat.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment