Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Early morning Curse.

Ah, Sleeping in. 

I don't care who you are, one of the simplest pleasures in the world is being able to wake up on your own time.  You know when your body says so, not when the guy on KBBL comes on to say its raining.  When your "ready" to get up it probably means that you are well rested. Unfortunately most people schedule a very rigid "wake-up" time, while allowing for a rather ambiguous bed time.  This results in significant sleep shaving.  It also explains why that extra 15-120min of sleep in the morning feels absolutely heavenly.

Not unlike the majority of the population, I am a victim of the rigid wake-up schedule.  Seven in the morning every day.  Not unlike clock work. In Fact, better than clock work.  My affliction goes far beyond the flat nasal beep of an alarm.  I have the early morning curse.

Curse is a strong word, to be fair its not all bad.  I never worry about whether or not my alarm is set properly, and my mornings are never rushed.  The CURSE presents itself in in three ways.  First,  Eagles are not owls.  Eagles are up early and owls are out late.  I must be an Eagle because I often struggle to hold my eye's open by 1030.  Second, a circle cannot fill a square.  My "extra" time in the morning although relaxing is not enough to be used for anything substantial.  Third, and worst of all. I cannot sleep in!

I can't do it.  When presented with the opportunity to snooze until 8 or nine or unlimited I will awaken at five to 7.  Even if I bend my will and make a conscious effort it will all be lost.  This morning for example I had license to sleep and I intended to.  I watched the hockey game and stayed up late.  I fortified my windows with heavy drapes.  And I committed myself to not get out of bed until 830.  I slept like a log and was awake just before 7. FML.

That's ok.  I just wont move, I'm committed to 830.  Damn, I have to pee.  Fine back to bed after.  Damn, now I'm hungry.  Commit...   Screw it, I can't win.  I managed an extra 40min of lying down but no extra zzz's.  Help me. please.  What should I do?


Training shall be based solely on feel,
while racing shall be guided by sensations and instinct.



Cuylar Conly

No comments:

Post a Comment