Thursday, July 7, 2011

Where You been

When asked, "What's been going on?" most people might just say "I've been Busy."  It's one of those knee jerk vocal reactions, that really leads a conversation nowhere.  So although I have crossed the country twice in the last week I won't qualify that as busy.  Instead I will just explain where I have been and what I was doing.

First I drove from Ottawa to Hamilton for the Canadian National Championships.  Where I made a 7thplace result in the Under23 Time Trial Championship.  After the National Criterium Championships I was taken straight to the airport where I caught the last flight to Saskatchewan.  It was important to fly immediately after racing so that I would arrive in time for my Sisters Graduation ceremony the next morning.  It is strange to think that only 4 years ago I was graduating.  It is also a little unnerving when you begin to evaluate the progression of your life.

While I was at home I did not ever touch a bicycle.  I packed light, taking only carry on luggage meant that I left all my cycling gear in Ontario.  I think this was a good decision.  The mental break was quite welcome and it gave me a chance to focus on my friends and family who are often neglected while I am training, traveling and racing.  While I was home 90% of my time was spent just hanging out with all the people I have not seen in several months.  I also had the chance to enjoy some summer activities that I have missed over the last couple years including a a game of "golf", and the chance to spend a couple days at the lake.

Of course there are certain chores that I can only accomplish while in Saskatoon.  I arranged to meet with a couple of University professors.  This was tricky because I had such a narrow window in Saskatoon, and allot of them wanted to skip town early on account of the long weekend.  The meeting s where necessary to arrange my academics in the fall.  I will be entering the final year of my undergraduate degree.  I am pursuing a bachelor of Science in Bio-molecular Structure studies and in the fourth year I am required to complete a research project.  Admittedly I am intimidated by the task, but the professors I have met with assure me that I have the aptitude, and I am sure that I can make it look like I know what I am doing ;)  The good news is that I have been accepted into Dr. Palmers Lab as an undergraduate research student.

I really enjoyed my little home visit.  It was a great opportunity to really turn things off.  There is nothing better than close friends and family to really recharge.  Now, back in Ottawa I can turn things back on.  In one week I managed to get a little fat and more than a little slow.  I have my work cut out for me and I am working on the logistics of some very big racing goals.

Training shall be based solely on feel,
while racing shall be guided by sensations and instinct.



Cuylar Conly

No comments:

Post a Comment