Sunday, March 14, 2010

I have my work cut out for me.

Spring series number 3.  Armstrong course.

Have you ever heard of daylight savings time?  I have.  Being from Saskatchewan today was my first experience of daylight savings time.  Everyone says it is rather hard to lose that extra hour of sleep.  I wouldn`t know.  Have you guessed.  I slept in.  I woke up at 6`45, aka 7`45.  About 15 minutes before Stu was picking me up.  It`s amazing how efficient you can become in the morning.  I only held us up about 10 minutes, and we were off to the races.

The Armstrong race course is 16 laps featuring a rude little climb each lap.  Once again my object for the day is simply to get a good workout.  Today I would be looking to go for the early breakaways.  I was climbing well on my own terms but there were others climbing better.  I was going after an early breakaway move.  Little did I know, my aggression would be a catalyst for the race selection. 

A Breakaway formed including 5 members of Total Restoration, 2 from Trek Red Truck, 1 from H and R Block, 1 from Garneau Evolution, another racer, and myself.  Our gap grew very large over the next couple laps.  It was clear that this was the move of the day.  Unfortunately, with each lap up the hill I was fading faster than the others.  With 6 laps remaining I could not keep the pace on the hill.

I got popped.  I rejoined into the main group to finish the race.  I am not ashamed to have been popped.  In fact this will serve me well to direct my training efforts in the weeks to come.  The goal of this race was simply to get some racing in the legs.  Mission accomplished.

My new bike was put through its paces today.  I have to say I am very pleased.  I have the fit dialed in now and I am so stoked on the ride.

For the rest of the week I will be throwing down some tough training.  I want to really tire myself out before some R&R back home in Saskatchewan.

 Training shall be based solely on feel,
while racing shall be guided by sensations and instinct.




Cuylar Conly

No comments:

Post a Comment