Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Getting Lost. properly!

It's an interesting skill really.  Getting Lost.  To venture out into the unknown, without any direction.  Being properly lost is not knowing where you are going, how you will get there, nor how you will return.  Some times this is just what you need.  Something that is truly worth while is often difficult to find; and what is difficult to find is often lost.

The method is really quite simple.  "A journey of thousand miles begins with a single step."  So pick your direction, try not to analyze it and just go.  Keep your wits about you, mind your heading and the time of day. Next its just a matter of "left foot, right foot."  Never mind where you are, how you came to be there or which way to get home. Do whatever feels right and the world will sort itself out.

Today I kept it fresh for five hours.  With no planned route I set out for a great day of riding my bicycle.  I rode North and West.  It seems that this is a rather contrarian direction in Tucson.  I had been counseled that there is no good riding to the north.  I disagree.  I found good riding, but no riders.  I suppose everyone has been miss-informed about the direction North.

Here is my map. And some photos.

 5hrs, 155km, One big lap about Tucson

 The view from the Cock-pit.

 The Tucson "Bone-Yard" with >4000 airplanes



Training shall be based solely on feel,
while racing shall be guided by sensations and instinct.


Cuylar Conly

No comments:

Post a Comment