Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Note on professionalsim

Among cycling circles there are many who believe that ones style and image aught to be of primary concern.  This is a paradigm that is religiously endorsed by the online community known as OREC.  This endeavor of style can be just as consuming as full time training.  For many, excuse me, recreational cyclists image and style may very well be their greatest achievement on a bicycle.  I do not mean to belittle anyone.  I am well aware of the time, effort and money that is needed to have the perfect bike, kit, tan-lines, hair and coffee-pose.  It's just that a dedicated athlete understands that these etiquette's are total crap if they hinder your training.

At the risk of destroying my internet credibility.  I am here to tell you that my bicycle has a pump attached to the frame and my saddle has a little bag dangling beneath it.  perhaps if I am on holiday or retired I will concern myself with how I look than how I can be faster and more efficient.  Today by ignoring style I was able to save my ride and continue to train.

I had 2 flat tires while training today.  My saddle bag and pump allowed me to continue training and saved me from an embarrassing and inconvenient need for a rescue.  When you are training and racing at the top of the sport you need to be responsible to your training.  Carrying a few essentials such as a pump and spare tubes is the professional thing to do.  If you are not training full time then by all means image and style should be your primary concern.  It may be all you ever have.

Oh, and tomorrow is laundry day.  So my bibs did not match my shirt.  SUCK IT OREC!


Training shall be based solely on feel,
while racing shall be guided by sensations and instinct.


Cuylar Conly

No comments:

Post a Comment