Monday, February 28, 2011

Mount Lemmon a Tribute

Many days in Tucson have I rode on Mount Lemmon.  This iconic climb is 27 miles long and ascends over 1800m topping out at over 2500m above sea level.  The climb is absolutely beautiful  the twisting road takes your breath away around every corner on the way up as well as the way down.  From bottom to top you travel through a spectrum of climate and foliage.  Begining in the desert at 30 degrees by the time you reach teh top you might think you are in the boreal forest and it is only 5 degrees.

Often my training dictates that I have business to attend on the slopes of Lemmon.  Unfortunately this mans that I am often ignorant to my amazing surroundings.  Instead electing to chew my handle bars until my heart beats like a jack-hammer.  Today I was out with my bike on the side of mount Lemmon and I worked up a sweat.  Maybe call it Stockholm Syndrome, but I have made some connection with this climb that is more than superficial.  Once finished with my masochistic task I cruised down hill snapping photos all the way.  At the bottom I stopped, gave the mountain one last look back and aloud I said, "Good Bye."

Note the following photo's are mostly scenic in Nature.



Big Mountain.

 Just after Windy point.  All Natural Sky Bridge.

I was way down there once.

 Windy View

Hoodoo View

 More Hoodoo View


 7 cataracts view


 Hmm looks like I broke a sweat.

Cannonball

That's Tucson in the back.

Self Shot. The road cuts the side of the canyon.

 Self-explainitory

 Short?

Mile Zero.  This is where you punch in for the day.  
The sign in the back ground says "Summerville 27miles."


 The view at mile zero.  Already high above Tucson.

The Cool Church.
I pass the cool church going to and from Lemmon.
I am curious what makes it so Cool?  I puttsed around but no one was home.




Lemmon, Tribute.




Training shall be based solely on feel,
while racing shall be guided by sensations and instinct.


Cuylar Conly

No comments:

Post a Comment